Monday, November 15, 2010

Inner Beauty

I have long believed that the outer beauty of youth dims with time like a fading flower if it is not fed from within.  Correspondingly, I have also observed that some who may not have been blessed with as much outer beauty early in life gradually blossom over a long life as a reflection of the charity within.

I have been studying Alma 5 the past few days.  This morning I picked up on verses 14 and 19 which both make reference to ...
  • Have you spiritually been born of God?
  • Have you received this mighty change in your hearts?
  • Have you received his image in your countenances?
I also found this interesting quote from Elder Theodore M. Burton (1907-89), a former Assistant to the Quorum of Twelve Apostles, observing that those who follow God appear more like Him,

“If we truly accept God in our lives and live in accordance with his commandments, God will work a mighty change in our appearance and we will begin to appear more like our Heavenly Father, in whose image we have been created. Could it be this appearance we recognize when we meet men and women who are trying to live close to the Lord?” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1973, 151; or Ensign, Jan. 1974, 114).

I smiled when I read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment