Friday, August 5, 2011

The Holy Scriptures ... Worth Every Sacrifice!

I am getting better at a daily routine that begins with reading a chapter in the Book of Mormon and a chapter in the Old Testament (I'm still trying to finish the last couple hundred pages that I have left after starting to read it last year).  Today I read 3 Nephi 3 and Ezekiel 25.


I try to share a very brief thought on Twitter of something that touched me.  (Twitter's limit is 140 characters, so it is literally summarizing it in a text message.)  This does two things, it shares it with those in the Twitter audience who might be interested, and it gives me a quick summary to blog post later in the day.


So here's what I tweeted today:  The worlds of Giddianhi,Voldemort & ours.Evil is good, good is evil.Scary. http://t.co/2CeUAPy


The link at the end takes you to 3 Nephi 3 where you can read Giddianhi, governor of the secret society of the Gadianton robbers, engaging in very smooth talking to make his evil sound reasonable and inviting the Nephites to join him.  (Otherwise we'll kill you all).  This reminded me of Voldemort, the  leader of the Death Eaters in the Harry Potter books, saying "There is no good or evil: only power and those too weak to seek it."  Even if one was to give in to Giddianhi or Voldemort because of fear, greed, or any other reason, one would only be valued by them as long as one contributed to their power.  The moment that ceases to be true, they would not hesitate to eliminate anyone or anything in their path.  


Thus the only truly reasonable response is to resist such leaders at whatever sacrifice is necessary.  Neville Chamberlain and others have taught us the price of going along and giving in.


I suggest to you that this is just as valid whether we are fighting political tyranny or a decision between good and evil in our everyday lives.


---------------------------------------------------------------


After reading, I try to go on a walk of at least 30 minutes, more if I can spare the time.  Generally while walking I will listen to recent General Conference talks and music of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I find this energizing both physically and spiritually.  Today I listened to two talks, and tweeted about them at the end of my walk:


A mother's love. World's greatest teaching tool -  This is a talk by Elder L. Tom Perry about the tremendous benefits of mother's teaching and her example to her children.


The Holy Scriptures. Worth every sacrifice made so we can have them.  Worth every sacrifice we make to read them daily - -  This is a talk by Elder D. Todd Christofferson.  You can listen to either of the talks by clicking on the links here.  I'd love to read your comments on what these meant to you when you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment